On June 3, 2012, the YMCA of Oakville will join YMCAs across Canada in hosting YMCA Healthy Kids Day. Designed to help kids and families embrace healthy habits that can become a lifelong practice, this free community event will focus on fun and engaging activities, practical information and simple ways to be healthier in spirit, mind and body.
Across Canada, most children do not meet recommended levels of daily physical activity. Rising rates of obesity and related chronic disease tell us that getting kids active should be a top priority for parents, schools, and all Canadians. “Our children’s health is very important to us. Our aim is to show families, children and youth that making healthy choices can be fun and easy,” says Darryl McKenzie, president and CEO at the YMCA of Oakville. “And we hope the children and families who attend this event will share what they learn with their friends and other family members,” adds Mr. McKenzie.
Although the YMCA models and incorporates healthy practices into its programs and activities for children and youth year round, YMCA Healthy Kids Day places special emphasis on teaching children and youth and their families about exploring healthy living habits that will make a difference throughout the year.
YMCA Healthy Kids Day is on Sunday, June 3, from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Peter Gilgan Family YMCA located at 410 Rebecca Street.
YMCA Healthy Kids Day activities include:
- Kids N’ Motion RE Cycle and BUY Cycle hosted by CYAN (Community Youth in Action Network). Purchase a gently used bicycle for a small donation. Bike donations can be dropped off on Friday, May 25 from 4:00-8:00 p.m. or Sunday, May 27 from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. at the Peter Gilgan Family YMCA.
- Markus – Juno award nominee and family entertainer presents a live show that will have everyone singing and dancing!
- Get tips on how to make nutritious everyday meals, plus make and take home a special recipe with ActiveChefs
- Children’s author Marla Konrad reads her award-winning book Just Like You
- Town of Oakville Make Your Move interactive sessions focus on healthy eating, active living and more
- BMX and skateboard park with Jibs Actions Sports high jump competition and demonstrations
- Live local youth bands and a Community Youth Fest from 7:00-9:00 pm for youth 14-18 featuring Lexi Tellings, Sydney Delong and special guests in association with Massive Tank Studios
- Family swims, Zumba, rock climbing, Preschool Zone games, a charity BBQ and so much more!
For more details, view the event schedule at ymcaofoakville.com/ymcahealthykidsday.
The Peter Gilgan Family YMCA is located at 410 Rebecca Street. In the spirit of YMCA Healthy Kids Day, we encourage families to walk, bike, carpool or take public transit to the event.
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that strengthens community in spirit, mind and body. We offer members, participants and community members opportunities for healthy living, personal growth, and community involvement. As a charitable organization we ensure that everyone in our community has the opportunity to benefit from participation in a YMCA program regardless of their ability to pay.
- 30 -